Apicoectomy - After Care Guidelines
Oral Health and Oral Hygiene
An Apicoectomy is considered a surgical procedure involving the removal of the tip of a tooth root and then the sealing of the root canal. The goal with an Apicoectomy is fighting infection and saving the surrounding teeth from extraction. This surgery should only cause minor discomfort. Pain, swelling and soreness in the surgery area are common reactions and they should subside within a few days.
Following the operation you may notice a small amount of bleeding for up to twenty-four hours. Placing a sterile gauze on the wound area for thirty minutes at a time is helpful. If the wound is bleeding more than a small amount of blood after twenty-four hours, please call us for detailed instruction.
Post-Operation Apicoectomy Instructions
- Use ice-packs on the side of your face where the surgery was performed.
- Eat a diet of soft foods
- Take over-the-counter medicine for pain if necessary and follow package directions.
- Use a warm salt water rinse every four hours and following meals beginning the day after your surgery.
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Get plenty of rest
- Make a follow-up appointment
Please DO NOT;
- Do not eat spicy foods
- Do not do vigorous mouth rinsing
- Do not use straws
- Do not touch the wound area
- Do not smoke
- Do not drink alcohol
- Do not brush teeth in the wound area
- Do not participate in physical activity immediately following the surgery.
If stitches need to be removed following an Apicoectomy surgery the dentist Westborough will want to schedule a follow-up appointment from two to seven days after the procedure. Within fourteen days following the surgery, all soreness and swelling should have subsided. Following these procedures will minimize recovery time and will ensure your surgery was a success.
Call Us With Questions
At All Dental Westborough, we want your oral surgery and all of your dental procedures to be successful and as comfortable as possible. We encourage you to call us anytime with questions of any nature. Your dentist in Westborough is here for all of your dental needs.