Clear Braces vs. Wire Braces
More and more adults are turning to braces to help straighten their teeth later in life. The question that is commonly asked by adults is whether clear braces, or Invisalign, work as great as wire braces. Traditionally, wire braces were used for everything from overbites to spaced out teeth. Clear braces and wire braces come with their pros and cons. At the end of the day, it all comes down to your own personal budget, preferences and dental needs. A consultation with a Westborough dentist is highly recommended.
The Pros and Cons of Wire Braces
Metal braces are what you typically see teenagers wearing in middle and high school, which can be off putting for adults that are looking to straighten their teeth. This form of tooth straightening involves the installation of metal brackets that are either gold or silver. Here is a look into the good and bad about wire braces:
- They are the least expensive option for straightening your teeth.
- They don’t normally break.
- They are very visible, making you a little self-conscious.
- They are uncomfortable to wear, especially during the first couple of weeks. It can be difficult to eat and speak.
- Gums can get irritated by the metal brackets, especially when you have canker sores.
- They are unattractive.
- They can be difficult to keep clean.
- Stains are typically left behind after wearing them for a couple of years.
The Pros and Cons of Clear Braces
Clear braces, or Invisalign, are growing in popularity because of their subtle appearance. It allows teenagers and adults to feel more confident about their appearance. Here is a look into the good and the bad about clear braces:
- They tend to be more expensive than metal braces.
- They are invisible, allowing you to wear them without anyone knowing.
- They don’t stain your teeth.
- Straightening teeth can be just as long as wire braces.
- There is still tooth pain caused by the braces moving your teeth.
- It can take six weeks before you can get your custom-made clear braces.
- You can see a computer simulation of how your teeth should look after receiving treatment.
- No irritation is caused to your gums.
Choosing between wire braces and clear braces all comes down to your budget and your preferences. If you want a discreet way to straighten your teeth and have financial freedom, then Invisalign would be a great option for you. To determine your eligibility for either of these treatments, make an appointment at your local Westborough dental office today.
Dentist Westborough, MA: General Dentistry
NEW PATIENT OFFER*
valued at $400+
Includes: cleaning, all necessary x-rays, exam, treatment plan
Additional treatment and fees may be required. If other treatment is required, your cleaning (prophylaxis) may be scheduled for a future date and/or may be applied to a service of equal or greater value. May not be used more than once and cannot be combined with other offers or discounted fees. May not be valid on emergency visits. Requires payment at first visit. No cash value.
76 Otis Street,
Westborough MA 01581