Everything You Need to Know About Dentures for Seniors
Dental Insurance & Dental Coverage
Most seniors find their teeth in poor health and require full or partial dentures, but not everyone can afford them. Some dental insurance plans do not cover dentures. However, other programs include denture plans that can help seniors.
When are Dentures Necessary?
In general, most of us don’t realize the health effects of a missing tooth. Missing teeth can make other teeth adjust and move into the empty space. The result is odd spacing that is difficult to clean and can trap foods. Missing teeth can also lead to further enamel erosion and potential cavities.
Not only do dentures improve the appearance of your teeth, but they make it easier to eat, they maintain spacing, and keep your teeth aligned.
Why It’s Important to Have Properly Fitted Dentures
It’s essential to have the dentures fit perfectly over your gums. Since we all have different dental conditions, it’s vital your dentist possesses adequate dental implant experience. For instance, your dentist should know the proper distance between each space between your teeth.
If dentures are not applied correctly, patients can encounter a variety of problems:
- Floating. Ill-fitting dentures tend to detach and float in the mouth, causing problems eating.
- Sounds. Damaged or improperly designed dentures can cause clacking, whistling that can affect you speaking.
- Pain. Dentures with the wrong size rub against the gums that can cause patients soreness and swelling of the gums. If not corrected, patients tend to eat less or opt to take softer foods to avoid irritation.
- Calluses. Dentures that slide and rub against the gums can create a callus called an epulis. If the denture does not have the correct size, it will require surgery to remove epulis.
- Infections. If left untreated, ill-fitting dentures can cause infections such as cheilosis and stomatitis, which are both irritating and painful.
All Dental of Westborough Welcomes Seniors
If you or your loved one is a senior residing in or around the Westborough, Ma area, the All Dental team invites you to visit our practice.
We understand the challenges that seniors face in receiving quality dental care on a fixed budget and are here to help. To learn more about dentures or to address your senior dental needs contact us now at 1 (508) 870-1911.
Dentist Westborough, MA: Dental Insurance & Dental Coverage
NEW PATIENT OFFER*
valued at $400+
Includes: cleaning, all necessary x-rays, exam, treatment plan
Additional treatment and fees may be required. If other treatment is required, your cleaning (prophylaxis) may be scheduled for a future date and/or may be applied to a service of equal or greater value. May not be used more than once and cannot be combined with other offers or discounted fees. May not be valid on emergency visits. Requires payment at first visit. No cash value.
76 Otis Street,
Westborough MA 01581