What Are the Types of Sedation Dentistry and Who Is It For
Sedation Dentistry is one of the many features of great dental practice, and All Dental in Westborough, Massachusetts, offers it. Although it may seem complicated, this offering can easily be broken down into two different types.
What is Sedation Dentistry
Sedation Dentistry or Dental Sedation are terms used to describe the methods of relaxation that a dentist will prescribe.
What Are the Types of Sedation Dentistry offered at All Dental?
There are two types of sedation dentistry offered at All Dental that are all intended to promote relaxation and an easy procedure. There are various dosing levels to each method and a dentist will know which is best, depending on the individual and the type of procedure. If necessary, a good dentist will clearly instruct the person undergoing an operation on what to do and how to prepare. Here are the two types:
- Nitrous Oxide. This type of sedative is a combination of nitrous oxide, also known as “laughing gas”, and oxygen. It is administered through a mask that is placed over the patient’s nose and is inhaled. Nitrous Oxide is extremely mild compared to other drugs, and generally wears off rapidly. Vital signs are continually measured throughout its administration and the machines that produce it are extremely precise. Sedation levels are controlled by the dentist, and the patient is conscious during the procedure.
- Oral Conscious Sedation. There is a range of orally administered drugs that are used by a dentist to induce relaxation and sedation in preparation for a procedure. He or she will determine the best class and strength for an individual’s needs. Oral sedatives are generally moderate and usually a patient will stay awake during the procedure. These drugs are commonly used and effective for many people with higher levels of uneasiness or worry. As with the other types, one’s vital signs are monitored throughout, so as to ensure regularity and safety.
A dentist may instruct a patient to take the drug prior to their appointment, and due to its longer lasting affects it may be more beneficial for some than the “laughing gas” alone. Sometimes, Nitrous Oxide and an Oral Sedative are even used together.
Why Choose Sedation Dentistry
There are many benefits to Sedation Dentistry, but opting for this type of treatment is useful for those with general anxiety or stress, those who enjoy safe and successful procedures and those who care about their dental health.
- Less Anxiety. Dental Sedation is not for pain management, but rather was designed to calm patients who experience distress prior to or during routine procedures. It allows people to become more able to approach the dental chair and for many with this kind of temperament elicits an overall more peaceful experience.
- Safe and Effective. Although there are risks associated with every procedure, Dental Sedation is not only widespread, but effective. Better yet, the same national standards apply in a dentist office just as they do at a doctor or other medical facility. A good dental practice uses trained, educated, certified staff, and is stringent on the care of their equipment, facilities and protocol.
- Encourages Dental Health. When one’s anxiety is reduced, they are well taken care of and the experiences they have at the dentist go without trouble, it motives them to stay consistent in their regularly scheduled dental exams, and follow up regularly with any new inquiries for other work. In this way, Dental Sedation can facilitate long term dental health and prevent otherwise lasting problems.
Sedation Dentistry in Westborough
Knowing why one might choose Dental Sedation is one thing, but confirming if it is ultimately the right choice entails a visit to All Dental in Westborough, Massachusetts and a conversation with one of their experienced and knowledgeable dentists. They can be found at 76 Otis Street, Westborough MA 01581, or reached via phone at +1 (508) 870-1911. An appointment can also be requested online!
Dentist Westborough, MA: Sedation Dentistry
NEW PATIENT OFFER*
valued at $400+
Includes: cleaning, all necessary x-rays, exam, treatment plan
Additional treatment and fees may be required. If other treatment is required, your cleaning (prophylaxis) may be scheduled for a future date and/or may be applied to a service of equal or greater value. May not be used more than once and cannot be combined with other offers or discounted fees. May not be valid on emergency visits. Requires payment at first visit. No cash value.
76 Otis Street,
Westborough MA 01581